Let's scrap fly tipping this Christmas!

Published: 19 December 2019

Christmas can be a magical time for families. However, once the party season is over, many people fail to properly dispose of all the extra waste from their homes. Public bins are often left overflowing, and fly tipping often causes major issues for authorities.

Whether you’re getting rid of toys, packaging, furniture or household waste, everyone has a duty to dispose of their waste responsibly. Here are some of the different ways you can do that this year.

Bulky Bob’s can collect your large items for free

If you need to get rid of any large items Bulky Bob’s will collect your bulky household waste for free. They can collect up to five items per home - including furniture, white goods, televisions, garden furniture and exercise equipment.

They can also collect up to five small electrical items and up to five bags of textiles (clothes, belts, shoes, handbags). Bulky Bob’s collect on Friday in the Speke Garston area.

You can only book a collection for textiles alongside your booked collection of bulky or electrical items. Just bag them up and give them to the driver. For the full list of items suitable for collection and to book your free collection, please call Liverpool City Council on  0151 233 3001 or visit www.liverpool.gov.uk/bulkybob

Take items to the recycling centre

Your nearest recycling centre is Otterspool Recycling Centre, Jericho Lane, Aigburth, L17 5AR. The opening hours are from 8am to 5pm daily. Some of the items you can dispose of at the recycling centre are furniture, toys, fridges, freezers, household batteries, garden waste and electrical items. You will need a permit if you are carrying your waste in a van, flatbed or trailer (between 2 and 3 metres long).

Donate to charity shops

Don’t forget that you can take your unwanted items to charity shops. Go to https://www.charityretail.org.uk/find-a-charity-shop/ to find out where your nearest charity shop is. If you can’t make it down to a charity shop, then some charities will collect them from your home for free.

Sell your unwanted items online

There are many websites where you can sell your unwanted items, such as eBay, Gumtree and Preloved, earning you a bit of money too! You may just have to pay a small fee for listing your items on the site.

Local Facebook selling groups are becoming really popular too – and these are completely free. To find one near where you live, simply enter your location in the main search box, alongside words such as ‘selling’, ‘sale’ or ‘buy’.

Donate through online giveaways sites

You can donate your items through websites such as www.freecycle.org or www.ilovefreegle.org.uk  The idea is that it’s a recycling community, so as well as giving, you can get items for free too. This is a great opportunity if you are moving to a new home!

Latest News

Coronavirus and our independent living schemes

Coronavirus and your independent living scheme

Read more
10 ways to get involved with Reach on Employability Day 2020

10 ways to get involved with Reach on Employability Day 2020

Read more
Update on your repairs service

Update on your repairs service

Read more
Meet our new Community Investment Team

Meet our new Community Investment Team

Read more

Follow Us

Get In Touch

By clicking the submit button I agree that SLH will process and store my data in accordance with the privacy policy.

Visit our office

Call into our office or write to us:

South Liverpool Homes


Conleach Road


L24 0TY

Our office is currently closed in order to help prevent the spread of coronavirus in our communities. Please see our coronavirus advice page for alternative ways to get in touch.

Stay Connected

Be the first in the queue to recieve our latest news in your inbox.

By clicking the submit button I agree that SLH will process and store my data in accordance with the privacy policy.

Our other websites

© 2020 South Liverpool Homes

Great place to work

South Liverpool Homes Limited is a charitable Community Benefit Society registered with the Financial Conduct Authority No.31210R and registered with the Regulator of Social Housing L4230. Registered office as above.

Privacy Notice

Accessibility Statement