💬 Translate this website 💬  

Pay Your Rent Report A Repair Apply For A Home Report ASB
Menu Icon Menu Icon South Liverpool Homes
MY SLH Search Icon

Scroll Icon

Universal Credit migration

Important information for customers in receipt of tax credits.

Universal Credit is gradually replacing six benefits, known as legacy benefits.  

What are legacy benefits?

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Job-Seekers Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Working Tax Credit

By the end of 2024, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will have moved all households claiming tax credits over to Universal Credit. 

The process is called a ‘managed migration’ and whilst we don’t know exactly when this will happen, it could be any time now until the end of 2024. 

The DWP is gradually contacting people who are claiming tax credits to let them know that these are ending and to invite people to claim Universal Credit by a deadline date. This is called a Migration Notice. You will not be moved over automatically so you must apply.  

What do I need to do when I receive the Migration Notice? 

Read it carefully and act on it.  

You will have three months to switch over to Universal Credit and it’s your responsibility to make this switch. If you don’t, your benefits will stop. 

Get in touch with our benefits advice team who can offer you support. Email benefitsandenergy@southliverpoolhomes.co.uk or call 0330 303 3000 and choose option 2.

You can prepare for this switch by making sure that you have the following readily available when you apply online: 

  • your bank, building society, or credit union account details
  • an email address
  • access to a phone

If you are claiming tax credits and are aged 65 or over, the DWP will write to you to ask you to apply for Universal Credit or Pension Credit, depending on your circumstances.

You may receive a leaflet called ‘Tax Credits are ending, Get ready for Universal Credit’ from the HMRC. It looks like this: 

Tax credits are ending leaflet

This is for informational purposes and you do not need to apply for Universal Credit at this stage. Only act when you receive your migration notice as you may lose out on any transitional protection you are entitled to if you act too early. 

Transitional Protection 

If the amount you are entitled to on your existing benefits is more than you’ll get on Universal Credit, a top-up is available. This is called a ‘transitional protection’ payment. 

You can only get this top-up if you have received a migration notice and claim by the deadline date on your letter. If you are affected by the benefit cap, i.e. you receive the maximum amount of benefits that is allowed in the UK, then you are not entitled to transitional protection. 

If you are concerned, please get in touch with us or contact Citizen’s Advice on 0800 144 8444.

Follow Us

Get In Touch

By clicking the submit button I agree that SLH will process and store my data in accordance with the privacy policy.

Visit our office

Call into our office or write to us:

South Liverpool Homes


Conleach Road


L24 0TY

Stay Connected

Be the first in the queue to receive our latest news in your inbox.

By clicking the submit button I agree that SLH will process and store my data in accordance with the privacy policy.

© 2024 South Liverpool Homes

South Liverpool Homes Limited is a charitable Community Benefit Society registered with the Financial Conduct Authority No.31210R and registered with the Regulator of Social Housing L4230. Registered office as above.

Privacy Notice

Accessibility Statement

View this website in other languages