Swapping your home
Read this page if you are interested in swapping your home with another housing association or local authority tenant.
Swapping your home
If you'd like to move to another socially-rented home, the easiest way is to swap with someone else. This is called a mutual exchange. The person you swap with must live in one of our homes, or a home belonging to another housing association or local council in England. You must have a secure or assured tenancy to swap homes.
If you find someone to swap with it, is important you seek our permission first otherwise it will be an unlawful exchange.
Where can I find homes to swap with?
Although we are not registered with Homeswapper you can register with them for a small fee and this will give you access to thousands of other tenants who are looking to swap their home.
SLH mutual exchange register
If you are a tenant and are looking to move to another home we will hold your details and will be actively looking to see if we can match you with other tenants. We will only connect you to someone else when we have all parties' permission.
SLH Home Swap facebook group
We have set up a dedicated SLH Home Swap facebook group specifically for SLH tenants to swap homes with other SLH tenants.
How it works
Post your home on the group. Your post should include:
- Images of your home
- Home location (street name and district only, do not disclose your house number)
- Number of bedrooms
- Your weekly rent
- A short description of the home
- Details of the type and location of home you’re looking for
We will moderate all posts and reserve the right to amend or delete posts where necessary.
Speak to others in the community, you will be surprised how word of mouth can help you find a suitable match. But remember to get our permission first!
What happens when I've found a swap?
Once you've found someone to swap with, let us know.
- We will give you information on the process so you are happy swapping homes if the exchange is right for you.
- We will need to inspect your home and complete some checks with the other party (and their landlord if they are not an SLH tenant).
Your exchange may be refused if:
- You owe us rent
- We have begun possession proceedings
- The property being exchanged does not meet the needs of one or both parties e.g too small or medically-adapted for a disabled person
- You have a starter tenancy
Ready to swap?
Contact us on 0330 303 3000 option 3 or get in touch.
Visit our office
Call into our office or write to us:
South Liverpool Homes