Independent Living Schemes FAQ

Scroll Icon


The safety and wellbeing of our tenants remains our main priority. We are continuously monitoring the latest advice from the Government and have updated our Q&As which will hopefully answer many of your questions. We will continue to update these as and when the guidance changes.

Q: I have the symptoms of Covid-19 virus. What should I do?

If you have symptoms of Covid-19 (a high temperature, a new, continuous cough or a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste), it’s really important that you get a test as soon as possible. You need to get the test done in the first 8 days of having symptoms. You can book a visit to a test site or order a home test kit if you cannot get to a test site.

For more information visit

Let your scheme manager know straight away so that we can support you.

Q: Who can I meet up with?

The restrictions in Merseyside from 1 October means:

  • Residents must not socialise with other people outside of their households or support bubble in their home and garden.
  • Residents must not socialise with other people outside of their households or support bubble in a social setting indoors i.e. a pub, café or restaurant.
  • You can socialise in an outdoor setting with a maximum of six people, however you must abide by social distancing rules.

This means that visitors are not allowed in your home unless they are part of your support bubble.

Q: I have created a support bubble with my family/friend, can they still come and visit me?

Yes they can come and visit you in your home. All the communal areas are still out of use as well as the guestroom.

Q: Can other tenants in the scheme visit me in my home?

No. However if you have formed a support bubble with another tenant, then the answer is yes.

Q: I have a carer, can they visit me in my home?

Yes. Registered carers can visit you in your home.

Q: Can I meet up with other tenants and friends and family outside the Independent Living Scheme?

Yes. But remember that only a maximum of six can meet and it must be outdoors i.e. not in an indoor social setting such as a pub, restaurant or café.

Q: Do I need to wear a face-covering when walking through communal areas?

Yes. We strongly advise that you wear a face-covering in communal areas to help prevent the risk of the virus spreading in the schemes.

Q: Do essential visitors need to wear a face-covering?

Essential visitors, such as carers or those who are part of your support bubble, need to wear face coverings when they are in any communal areas. However, it is an individual choice to wear face coverings in your home.

Q: Grandchildren are part of my support bubble, are they allowed to visit me?

We would ask you to visit grandchildren in their family home wherever possible. This is to help minimise any risk of coronavirus spreading in the schemes.

Q: Can we start to use the communal kitchen and communal lounge?

No, social distancing measures means that the communal kitchen and lounge is still out of use.

Q: Can I still use the laundry room?

Yes, but only one person is allowed in the laundry room at any one time.

A rota system has been set up for each scheme. It is important that you keep to your time slot to ensure everyone can safely use the laundry room. If you forget your time slot please let your scheme manager know so that a new time can be allocated to you.

Q: Will I still be able to get repairs done to my home?

Yes, we will continue to carry out repairs to your homes. All our operatives wear the required PPE, including face masks, to keep you safe.

We will also continue to carry out regular checks that we are legally required to do to ensure your home is safe. This includes electrical tests and weekly fire safety tests

Q: What can I do to minimise the risk of infection spreading?

Hands – wash your hands for at least 20 seconds, regularly throughout the day and use the hand sanitiser provided when you enter/leave the building.

Face – cover your face with a face covering when you are with other people.

Space – keep your distance from others. Ideally, a two metre distance where possible.

Q: What should I do if I’ve received a government letter telling me to self-isolate for 12 weeks?

We know that many of you will have received a letter asking you to self-isolate for 12 weeks. If you have received this letter, then you are asked not to leave your home throughout this period. Please let your scheme manager know so that we can support you.

Q: I can’t get out to do my food shop and haven’t got any family members nearby to help. What should I do?

We advise you to do your shop online if you are able to. If you do not know how to do this, speak to your scheme manager. We can signpost you to agencies who can help and will support you with your shop.

Q: How will you to communicate with me throughout this coronavirus outbreak?

Your scheme manager will continue to call you every morning to check on your wellbeing and to give you the advice and support you need.

We are also looking to email/message tenants with updates however we know not everyone will have an email address or a mobile phone. Your scheme manager will make sure you receive these messages on your daily phone calls.

We will also communicate with your next of kin through email or phone message to let them know what we are doing to support you.

Q: I’m getting bored and irritable staying indoors. Have you got any advice?

It’s understandable that you may find social distancing boring or frustrating.

At times like these, it can be easy to fall into unhealthy patterns of behaviour which in turn can make you feel worse. There are simple things you can do that may help, to stay mentally and physically active during this time such as:

  • look for ideas of exercises you can do at home on the NHS website.
  • spend time doing things you enjoy – this might include reading, cooking, other indoor hobbies or listening to the radio or watching TV programmes.
  • try to eat healthy, well-balanced meals, drink enough water and try to avoid smoking, alcohol and drugs.
  • keep your windows open to let in fresh air, get some natural sunlight if you can, or get outside into the garden.
  • Keep in touch with family and friends on the phone or through video apps.

You can also go for a walk or exercise outdoors (if you are not self-isolating) as long as you stay more than two metres from others.

Please refer to the most current NHS advice

Follow Us

Get In Touch

By clicking the submit button I agree that SLH will process and store my data in accordance with the privacy policy.

Visit our office

Call into our office or write to us:

South Liverpool Homes


Conleach Road


L24 0TY

Our office is currently closed in order to help prevent the spread of coronavirus in our communities. Please see our coronavirus advice page for alternative ways to get in touch.

Stay Connected

Be the first in the queue to recieve our latest news in your inbox.

By clicking the submit button I agree that SLH will process and store my data in accordance with the privacy policy.

Our other websites

© 2022 South Liverpool Homes

Great place to work

South Liverpool Homes Limited is a charitable Community Benefit Society registered with the Financial Conduct Authority No.31210R and registered with the Regulator of Social Housing L4230. Registered office as above.

Privacy Notice

Accessibility Statement