What is domestic abuse?
The term domestic abuse is often thought to mean physical violence against women by men who are in a relationship. However domestic abuse can include many different types of behaviour between those aged 16 or over who are, or have been, intimate partners or family members, regardless of gender or sexual orientation. Domestic abuse can happen between siblings, parents and children and any other relationship within the home.
SLH policy defines domestic abuse as controlling behaviour and includes all kinds of physical, sexual and emotional abuse within all kinds of intimate relationships.
Examples of what domestic abuse can include are:
- Physical assault
- Sexual abuse/rape
- Threats and intimidation
How SLH can help
SLH may be able to help you in the following ways:
- Obtaining anti-social behaviour injunctions against perpetrators of domestic abuse to protect victims
- By taking tenancy enforcement action including possession proceedings against perpetrators of domestic violence
- Referring you to a specialist domestic violence agency which may be able to help by providing improved security measures, counselling and legal advice
- Providing housing and tenancy advice and assisting victims to find temporary accommodation if necessary
Report domestic abuse
If you are suffering from domestic abuse and would like to speak to a member of the Community Safety Team in confidence then you can make a report by getting in touch or by filling in the form below. All reports of domestic abuse will be acknowledged within 24 hours.
Please remember, in an emergency dial 999 for immediate assistance. You can call 999 without speaking then pressing 55, or tapping or coughing into the phone. This will enable police to respond.
Further support and helplines
- What to do if you need urgent police help through the 999 service, but can’t speak
- The National Domestic Abuse Helpline
- Women's Aid
- Citizens' Advice
- Liverpool City Council
- Liverpool Domestic Abuse Services 0151 263 7474
- Merseyside Domestic Violence Service 0780 272 2703
- South Liverpool Domestic Abuse Services 0151 494 2222
- Ruby Project 0771 428 9180
- Savera UK (honour based abuse & harmful practice specialist) 0800 107 0726
- Worst Kept Secret Helpline (Merseyside) 0800 028 3398
- Young Persons Advisory Service (YPAS) 0151 707 1025
- Men’s Advice Line (Freephone) 0808 801 0327
Visit our office
Call into our office or write to us:
South Liverpool Homes